Thursday, November 6, 2008

Customer Service: Ask and Ye Shall Recieve

Demand and we'll hang up on you.

------------------------------------
I've been on hiatus from blogging for the last few months (without getting too much into it, politics and certain cult I am protesting have eaten up my spare time) but I am back and full of new experiences to post about. Today, my job. In fact, the job of over 80% of Americans:

Customer Service.
-----------------------------------

Background Information:

I have been working fulltime since 1995 in mostly customer service and administrative jobs. Before that, I babysat kids in my neighborhood and mowed lawns on the weekends. I know what it's like to be the fry cook, the drive thru girl, the waitress for your bachelorette party, the cashier on Black Friday and the returns clerk the day after Christmas. I've worked everywhere from McDonalds to JP Morgan and I can tell you that my core responsiblity has never changed: satisfying the customer.


Behind the Counter:

From my experience, the most aggravating part of customer service is getting the customer to understand that you understand. That you are doing everything in your power to help them even if it is taking a while and even if you aren't the person they need. These are the people who will scream at you and accuse you of not caring after you've spent 15 minutes hunting down the appropriate manager for them.

The second most aggravating moments come when customers seem to forget that they are not the only person you have to help. Whether it's holding up the line at the bank window or keeping the other 5 phone lines on hold, this person is determined to have you lose four more customers in order to give them a refund or hear their entire story. This is when you have to get firm with people. Personlly, i am honest with them:

"Sir, I have other calls coming in, please hold."
I do not give people like this the option to wait, I just make them. Otherwise, I will end up with several upset customers, rather than just the one with unwarranted self importance.


The Other Side of The Desk:

No comments: